Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Playing with food

I think we can all agree that I'm very passionate about cooking, baking, and eating. If I could spend an entire weekend in the kitchen duplicating recipes, and developing ones on my own, I would be as content as Avery is giving up naps. I love to take a simple something and watch it transform into this beautiful, edible wonder. I love my career, but I must say if I had an offer to enroll in "La Cordon Bleu" I'd do it in a heart beat. I guess I'll live vicariously through my daughter until then. 


I think she might share the same passion???


The school of "La Cordon Sid the kid".

But there's also some talk about a future in "Dancing with the stars".

While she decides her future I'll be in the kitchen roasting and serving spaghetti squash for dinner.

Roasted spaghetti squash with
artichokes & peppers:

1 medium size spaghetti squash
1 can artichoke hearts in water, drained and chopped coarse
1 red pepper diced
1 jar Newman's own Sockarooni sauce(pasta sauce)
1/4 cup white wine(I just used my left over Pinot Grigio)
1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
Parmesan cheese(optional)

Preheat oven to 375

Halve spaghetti squash lengthwise, remove seeds, and drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper.


Place open side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake 35-40 minutes.


Meanwhile in Large sauce pan over Medium heat add a little olive oil. Saute red pepper, and artichoke hearts. When slightly golden add wine. Reduce the heat and simmer until liquid is about half the amount.


Keep heat on low and add Newman's Sauce, and basil.



At this point you may want to season a little more with salt & pepper to your liking.
Cover and keep warm.

Remove roasted squash, place on firm surface, and shred with fork.


Separating the squash is actually quite gratifying.


When both squashes have been shredded place your spaghetti on platter or deep bowl, and grate fresh Parm over the top.

Spoon your sauce right down the middle to show off the different colors.


I prefer this just as a meal with a green salad and crusty bread, but my family asked for chicken along side, and gobbled every bite. 


Deep thought......while eating ice cream........I think she's on to something else. Or just dreaming of more spaghetti squash.






















4 comments:

  1. Let's make it Dancing with the stars the Christian version please! That meal looks delicious. I will have to buy a squash now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love eating squash this way! My mom is the one who always makes this but I think I will have to try it....looks so good:) Do you think just butter and shaved parm would be good? salt and pepper of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it terrible that I eat half a spaghetti squash myself every time? Don't answer that.

    And I'll totally go to culinary school with you. You have to do all the meat stuff for me, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy I don't see why not, but I might add some fresh herbs to brighten the flavor a bit:)

    ReplyDelete