Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Last call for soup

Who do you think this is???




I'll let you think about it while I share with you the very last of my soup recipes for, National soup month. This won't be the last of my soups, I promise, but I won't declare it.


You could call this a chicken taco soup, chicken fiesta soup, or chicken Mexican soup, but I call it......


Zesty chicken soup/with a twist

The thing I like most about this soup is the secret ingredient, although it's not really a secret because I will share it with you, but it's warm and very winter like. I make this at least once a month, and I love to change it up a bit by adding rice, a dollop of sour cream, or just simply eating as is.

The process

Chop! Chop!

Snip! Snip!

Put it all in.....

Stir, combine, and cook on low.


No doubt a flavorful, warm, cozy, winter soup.


Zesty chicken soup

Ingredients

3 chicken breasts diced
1 cup onion, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 medium golden potatoes, diced(do not peel)
1 can green chilies
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup quality chicken stock
1 15 oz can petite-diced tomatoes w/liquid
1 15 oz can whole tomatoes w/liquid(I put these in the pot and use scissors to break them up)
1 lime zested, plus, 1/2 lime juiced
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp dried parsley 
dash red pepper flakes
dash chili powder
dash dried oregano
light sprinkle of cinnamon(secret ingredient)
cilantro for garnish


Directions


In slow cooker add all ingredients except cilantro. Season with salt and pepper; cook on low for 7-8 hours. 


Optional: You can make this vegetarian by using vegetable stock, and northern beans in place of chicken. Also, I serve this over brown rice with grated Parmesan, and chopped parsley.  


Point: Do what you like and what sounds good. Make it your own, and don't be afraid to try something different.




Any guesses??





0 comments:

Post a Comment